SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
As all things in sailing in cruising generators are also a compromise. For a generator you increase substantially the weight as well as you need diesel and that diminishes your autonomy. It all depends what type of cruising you do and your life style. If you sail to faraway places or remote places you need autonomy and do not want to have your itinerary always dependent on refueling places.

I am not saying that a generator makes not sense to you but I cannot imagine having one specially now that I found out how much high performance batteries and an improved recharging system are efficient. If on a move I will have hidrogenerators that seems to be the more efficient solution. Eventually if that is not enough, wind generators and solar power.

There are many circumnavigating or cruising extensively without a generator, others don't do it without a washing machine plus the generator. What is important is that each one is satisfied with the way he is doing it, slow, fast, heavy or light has not much importance if the sailor is satisfied with his boat, his sailing, his set up and his life style and I am sure you are satisfied with yours.

regards

Paulo
We started out as 12 volt boat and after 14 years still are. 360 watts of solar and a wind generator take care of us just fine. We are not screen people so are energy needs are much smaller then others. I get about 6.5 years out of 6V golf cart batteries. The big draw is the fridge/freezer and this is one area we will not compromise on. Everybody needs to generate power, I just find that not burning fossil fuel is for me. I think with some very small changes everybody can exist on solar and wind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook