SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sleeping While at Sea
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sleeping While at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

As for the fine, I assume there is a limit to where the CG has actually impose it. Maybe to the 200nm economic zone, maybe just the 12nm limit. In any case, it might be possible for a singlehander to stay awake within the zone subject to the fine.

James is right, I can't see how it could be enforced unless they boarded you while you were sleeping.
That is a very good point but then most collisions happen in the 200nm (or not far) and it is where fishing boats are, even the ones that fish offshore.

Regarding solo races I would like to point out that Coastal solo races, like the Figaro are divided in small legs that permit the skipper to be awake the full race.

Only on circumnavigations and Transats solo races the Skippers have to sleep and that can happen out of the 200nm.

Things are not perfect and for instance on the Vendee Globe there were too collisions with fishing boats. It seems that everybody was sleeping in both cases (the fishermen and the racer). I think that in the near future it will be mandatory to have marks that will not allow long range solo racers to come nearer coasts while racing, being the only exception the start and finish.

http://www.soloroundbritain.com/sing...ep-management/

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-23-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook