SailNet Community - View Single Post - Overwhelmed sailing novice seeks advice
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road
Re: Overwhelmed sailing novice seeks advice

A couple of suggestions. One is to co-own a boat already at a club. Our dock neighbours actually have this arrangement and it works very well for them. Their experience varies considerably but the lesser experienced have the benefit of the other folks (4 all told).

Humber is a basic course and the trick is to get out there sailing as much as possible. Good for the basics, not so much for ongoing actual experience. You can join Humber as well (fairly pricey in my mind) and you can crew as many times a week as you want. Boats vary from 24 ft to 43 ft.

You can also join most of the clubs in the GTA as a social member and then crew on race nights - great experience in all kinds of conditions. I also have been seeing advertisements for the Island yacht club (I think) that I believe have some club boats you can use? Not sure about the details and, of course, cannot find the ad now that I want to look at it!

Finally, and many may disagree, but my take is that if you can handle Lake Ontario, you can, for the most part, manage ocean conditions! Lake Ontario can be tough at times. We recently sailed the BVI's and my wife was amazed at how much easier it was than our little lake! Consistent winds and swells far apart making for a much gentler ride that 2 metre waves close together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook