SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Hey Paulo,

... However, many of those things that I would look for are also lacking in the RM... and probably ANY 'racer-cruiser', which of course is what this whole thread was about. I believe that every boat was designed with a purpose in mind. That makes some boats better at some things than others. Just like I wouldn't race a Tayana 42, I wouldn't cruise on a First or J122. Can you? Sure. Can you MAKE it work? Absolutely. But why MAKE it work, when there are better boats built to the purpose you are going to use them for.
Brian, I have already explained that: Not all performance boats are cruiser racers but all cruiser racers are performance boats. What makes a cruiser racer is to be designed specifically to a dual propose, cruising and racing. that is not the case with the RM that was designed has a performance voyage boat, meaning voyaging fast. There are other boats designed with that purpose in mind. The Cigale comes to my mind because it was one of the first.

Quote:

In the discussion of this thread, what I have tried to point out is what I carry as a cruiser. As mentioned, some of these things are kid related, and as there are very few cruisers with kids, some of these things can be removed. However, in general, I believe that most people here will see that the things I carry are the same things they would carry on their boat. These things take up space. That space must be allotted on the boat.
Brian I never wanted to say that the type of boat you have is not adequate for what you do. You just think to assume that all like to live and voyage like you and that is just not true. Some like to carry 6 anchors, a washing machine I even had saw a motorcycle and much more stuff than what you have. For those your boat would be inadequate.

Those that like to travel fast like to travel light and would not take all the stuff you carry. Not that the RM was not able to carry all that stuff you carry and still be more fast than your boat (Bob Perry explained why in another thread) but the boat would be much slower than what has potential to be and nobody would buy that kind boat for loading it that way. They buy it in first place because they like to voyage fast and weight is always an enemy of speed and they know it.

Quote:
Racer-cruisers in general have much less storage space than the typical performance or HD cruiser (that I have ever been on). So my point was that if you are going to choose one of these boats to cruise on, you will likely have every single corner stuffed with things. You will be forced to put things that HD boats could store below the waterline, above it. You may be forced to place things in berths or in heads where they are not locked down well, will roll in a sea, and are hard to get to. All of this will not only affect the performance of your vessel, but the comfort of it as well. In the end, you may find that the racer-cruiser boat has lost many of the qualities you thought you were cruising on it for in the first place.

That was my point.
Yes I agree. Except that the RM is not a cruiser racer but a voyage boat. In what regards cruiser racers you are right. If someone want to carry the same kind of stuff in a cruiser-racer he has to buy a bigger boat (not a 40ft but a 43 or 45ft). I have already said that.

Quote:
I would also like to discuss specifics or the RM boat with you if you want? I found it wanting.

First, and I have said this before: Where do you lean your back against when sailing? Laying up against the lifelines on the high side is fine for a day cruise, but my back (and I am only 41) would be killing me after a day or two at sea. And what about your butt? Do you find that acceptable? They need a foot rest in the cockpit or some place to push up against you can sit in the seats. Look at the fellows in the picture you put a link to: http://www.charles-watson.com/downlo...0RM%201260.pdf

Do either one of them look comfortable to you? THe one sitting down has to lean all the way across to the other seats, thus his back is only supported by the corner of the coaming. THe other is having to lean over behind the wheel. Now, don't get me wrong, but that would be fine for a day sail, but day(s) at sea?
I don't understand your point. When one voyage the voyage is made most of the time on autopilot. The RM has the hull based on solo racers and as those is the best and easiest boat to be run on autopilot, even on demanding conditions. You can even sail the boat from the chart table with a joystick. The boat was conceived for that. You can see the sails, both sides and straight ahead, from the chart table.

When enjoying sailing (on the fast lane) at the ruder or wheel (just for the fun of it) the boat gives you lots of space around the wheels where you can enjoy it. It offers you also a nice lateral spot where you can fit in tightly and have support all around.

Note also the traveller at easy reach of the one that is steering the boat. That will contribute for a better control in the conditions were one would have pleasure at the wheel.

I have to go. I will continue later regarding the other points.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook