SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013
GennyWinch

dsullyec1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to dsullyec1
Re: Why are the Ladies silent on Sailnet?

Hey there,

I wrote you a long post after I received your last message and for some reason, the inet just kicked me out. GRRR. Then we got real busy for several days. I see what you're saying about the chain. We've talked about it since you wrote to us about it. We're just not sure where to go to find a end chain barrel. We'll keep looking though.

Do you sew things for your boat? Do you carry a sewing machine? It's been very interesting to me to see so many men become very good at sewing. Never see that with other kinds of professions/sports/whatever. Right now I'm sewing up some anti-bug screens to cover the hatches...it's for the summer when it gets hot here and we need all windows/hatches open. Learn as I go. Found the name of a woman who trains women to sail on her boat for free. Am trying to get in touch with her so I can be one of her crew. Need more experience, and it would be nice to be with and be trained by women.

Went to the Galveston Art Walk the other night...some fine artists and some ok. It's a little like New Orleans there...on a very small scale. Just don't hear the jazz...more like rock n roll.

I've never heard of compounding the price of the boat per day. That's really different. We pay a flat $380/mo here at the Waterford Harbor Marina, and we usually average about $15-25/mo electric fees. It's always been less than $500. (We usually eat at their restaurant several times a month and they put that on our tab, along with several other things.) Paul thought that $.22-.36 per ft per day. If they compound it, it wouldn't make me want to stay on long, though.

We have talked with several others about the Bruce anchor and get the same feedback...it's one of the best anchors. I'm sure it all depends on what you're anchoring in.
We'll be looking for one of those at the "Boat Resale" shop up the road. We have one windlass that is a push button from the cockpit. I like that...messed up my wrist about 10 years ago and it's never been strong since.

I think we only have 140 ft of rode. About 35 ft of that is chain.

Probably won't be stopping in San Diego...although I have friends and family around that area. I used to live there...in El Cajon, then in La Mesa, then up above hotel circle in the Friar's Village condo's when my mom owned a condo there. It's gotten too busy for me now. I was born in Santa Monica (moons ago! lol) and grew up in LA and Bakersfield. I really don't care to return anymore. Too crowded. I have lots of good memories from there though...and I'll never forget them.

I know what you mean about not being able to afford both a slip and repairs. Both together can wipe out the old pocketbook. It makes sense to anchor sometimes to save money while fixing the boat.

Is latitude 17 where you are located now? Or is that up in the Golfo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook