SailNet Community - View Single Post - A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

dogeconomics is on a distinguished road
Re: A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Sounds like you have it worked out. I can only respond to what you choose to share. That said, many have come through with your basic idea. I'd be interested in hearing from the ones (you maybe?) who actually make work what you'd like to do. They tend to disappear after not receiving the answers they expected. I'm sure one or two are out there.

I'm sure your sailing friends will tell you that there are always maintenance costs and you might be putting more of the rent/mortgage money on an ongoing basis into the boat than you expected. Even if you buy a boat brand new from the factory, there are ongoing costs.

Someone else said that no one is trying to discourage you and that's true, but before I owned a boat (and my first one was only 22 feet) I had NO IDEA how much it would cost to keep it floating even after we learned how to do a lot of the work ourselves.
I am grateful for your input. These are serious, legitimate concerns that are no doubt frequently underestimated. And thats why I'm here talking with you lovely people! If it doesn't pan out, then it doesn't pan out. I'm a flexible person. Maybe I'll circumnavigate someday; maybe I'll end up in a Tibetan monastery. But right now the bug has bitten, and hard. So I'm going to pursue this until it becomes a part of my life or until I find its not for me. In any case, looking forward to any future discussions we might have.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook