SailNet Community - View Single Post - Insurance and cruising...
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Insurance and cruising...

The worst for this is Australia where many marinas want $10 million in liability, most others want $5 million. Scarborough Marina in Brisbane accepted our Jackline policy with $500,000. They get a lot of foreign visitors. We stopped for one night at the marina in Airdrie Beach so we could touch base with an electronics tech. After thinking about it for an hour they said we could contact our insurance company to see about increasing our limit. I was going to point out the 11 hour time difference and the fact it was one night (at a high price), but thought I would leave well enough alone. Remarkably, in the morning when I took the key back to get my deposit they asked if I had talked to my insurer and I assured them that they were working on it. We used a marina in Darwin and the said they wanted $5 million but I could arrange a local supplement. When we got there they only wanted a copy of our insurance and did not mention the liability amount.