SailNet Community - View Single Post - A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Any older boat with a balsa core is going to be a nightmare. My thinking is his budget, he can get a CD with bad decks for 20k or a Triton with bad decks for 4K and have 16K left for outfitting, they call it yachting for a reason. Again I love CD boats, im keeping his budget in mind.
Understood, but I think you can get one for a lot cheaper with good decks. We paid a LOT less than 20k (a fraction of) for ours and our decks are fine. We recently removed a bunch of deck hardware, redrilled and filled some holes, everywhere we did so was dry. Our initial survey showed no moisture damage in the decks, either.

I've poked around with a few CDs that were less than 20k as well, all with good decks. There's no reason to believe that an older CD (or boat for that matter) can't have decent decks, provided owners have bedded their hardware over the years.

You should be able to get a CD27 for 14k or 15k with the original 8hp Yanmar, in good cosmetic and structural condition. It won't be pristine and in brand new shape, but she'll be structurally sound and have everything you need.

That said, I wouldn't deter anyone from getting a Triton You might could also find an Alberg 30 in your price range.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook