SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Second, from the pics, I see this as a boat with very minimal storage. There is minimal storage in the staterooms, the galley, and none in the salon (except in the settes). The line drawings show a rather shallow bilge, but I have not been on the boat so am just guessing. I am not guessing about the cabinetry. As I have shown in my previous post, with specifics and exacts of what I carry, how do you make this work? I gave exact dimension that this stuff takes up, so where do you put it all?
You should be kidding:

That fat ass really provides an outstanding storage space. There is more on the outside and only accessible from there.

The boat has normal sized wardrobes (vertical cabinets) on the cabins, two on the front cabin one on the back one:

besides that the boat has the tankage all on the side (that gives a better motion comfort). Look at the space behind the settees, it is where it is and the space is so big that works as two extra berths. This permits to have most of the space behind the settees as storage.

Like yours this boat has a big galley with lots of storage (not bigger than yours?) with a big cold storage space:

Quote:
THird: Tankage. 34 gallons is very low for fuel for cruising in my opinion. I carry about 45, plus another 20. I have 45 gallons of holding tanks. What is the holding tank of the 1260? I suspect it is minimal, like the Jenneau 409 (20 gallons). 20 gallons will not last you long. Surely you agree?
Why the hell do you think a voyage boat will have the same holding tanks as a typical cruising boat like Jeanneau? I don't know what is the capacity but this is a boat that allows some customization and if you want it would not be difficult to have a huge black water tank

Regarding fuel. You will certainly run out of fuel first. This boat needs only about less the wind you need to sail decently and this is not the type of boat for cruisers that carry a generator. Besides the boat comes equipped with the tankage that suits most of the cruisers that will sail and voyage on this boat. They mount additional tanks if someone needs them.

Quote:

Fifth: Do you like those huge portlights? They look good in the brochure, but are they a good idea for a boat that goes to sea? For example, the portlight that is sitting under the goose neck under the mast... don't you think that is a really bad idea? The large portlights running each side of the cabin top? There is no such thing as a shoe that grips wet plastic. THat stuff becomes ice when it gets wet.
Portlights well made have no problem and this is a cruising boat, not a racer, a boat made to enjoy live and the scenery and as I said, that great visibility to the outside (I am talking about the upper one) allows you to sail the boat from the inside, in stormy weather or simply when it rains. When you voyage you cannot always chose sunny days

Regarding "the large portlights running each side of the cabin top" how can they be slippery if they are practically vertical?

They are a great idea because they not only provide an interior with lots of light as they contribute to make possible to sail the boat from inside.

Brian, I don't pretend to sell this boat to you. That is not the point and this is not obviously a boat that would suit you. This is a boat for the ones that like to voyage far away, fast and safe, not for the ones that like to travel with a lot of stuff. The point is that there are a significant number of those sailors so significant that RM was been growing fast in production numbers, kind of 2 or 3 times more than some years ago.

The point is that this was the boat that won 2013 European boat of the year in the class of family cruiser. This means that many testers from many nationalities that know all boats on the market think this is not only a great voyage boat but also a boat that is not a marginal one anymore meaning that the ones that use them (the ones that like to voyage fast and light) are growing in numbers and are not a small minority anymore.

You should stop thinking that there are only a right and sensible way to cruise and voyage. Nothing wrong with your Catalina that is a good cruising boat, but that does not make it the perfect compromise in what regards cruising and voyaging except maybe for you, certainly not for all.

With friendship,

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-22-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook