SailNet Community - View Single Post - Insurance and cruising...
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post

Marathon Marina... same way. I had to make a copy and show full coverage.

I cannot think of a single marina we have stayed at that did not require insurance, and/or a copy of it. We actually carry copies of our policy now to hand out at check-in. Some are quite specific in amounts they require you to carry or you are denied mooring there.

For those thinking about cruising, I suggest you take this into account. Things have changed, from my perspective. The days of live free and let live seem to be overshadowed by the bright lights of the court rooms and legal offices. Don't get me wrong: I always carried insurance and always will. I believe in it and feel it is right for us. But it seems the ability to choose to have it or not are gone.

Brian
I'm always amazed to hear accounts such as this...

I long ago lost even a rough accounting or estimate of the number of stays I've had as a transient in a wide variety of marinas up and down the coast over the years, but it's gotta be a couple of thousand by now... And yet, I have never, EVER, been asked to show proof of insurance, of any kind... Same goes for boatyards, not ONCE... Even bringing my little tub into some pretty ritzy places, from Bahia Mar to Nantucket Boat Basin, it's never happened... I haul my boat at what is now a Hinckley yard here in NJ every couple of years, insurance has never been mentioned...

I'm sure there's something in the fine print on the back of many of the transient dockage agreements I sign at a place like The City Marina in Charleston that requires one to have insurance - but I never read those things, and again, I have NEVER, ever been asked about it...

I spent almost a week at Marathon Marina last winter, the subject never came up... I don't know, Brian - perhaps there's something about you or your boat that spooks them?

(grin, bigtime)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 04-22-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook