SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Brian- I am 100% on your side. Would note with many designs you give up little or nothing in vmg for the type of sailing we do and still have the benefits of displacement and ability to cruise in comfort and style. I know feeling secure and comfortable will mean we will push the boat more so passage times should be fairly close. I look at Paulo's posts and choices and know those boats are not where my wife and I would choose to live. I showed her european boats, South African boats. New Zealand boats, one offs . glass boats aluminum boats even steel boats etc. but when we boarded a sistership of our boat and then had the joy of sailing her we knew we found home. I believe once you look at a vessel as home be it for a month a year or forever the comfort factor becomes important beyond measure. I'm not talking about comfort in terms of boat motion( although that's important) but comfort in terms of a place you feel totally at home . For me this did include excellent performance and a sense my boat 'been there done that" so I need not be concerned about the integrety of the vessel. But my boat feels like a place that was built for me. All the details fix the needs of my wife and I. And it stirs my heart with beauty inside and out. I know we don't meet your definition of cruiser as part of our deal was to sell the house but keep a pied a terre somewhere but find we think alot alike.
Only disagrement with you is about the generator. Going to try and do without one. May change our mind when we go south if we find we need to run the AC alot.