SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Lemsteraak, Duch traditional lateral boarders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
I would like to see the same race with simple dacron sails on the X... The Aak uses cotton...
I don't think they are using cotton sails on the Lemsteraak. In fact that boat is pretty much a racing Lemsteraak. Do you think I am kidding? They race the dam thing:

and I am glad they do. In fact Dutch have an admirable naval tradition and they have made an wonderful job in preserving their old boats and traditional shapes. Many of those boats are very nice cruising boats and give excellent live aboard boats.

They are adapted to the swallow waters of Holland and besides their lateral boards (that work well since they are canted in the right direction an remain vertical with the boat heeled) they have other interesting characteristics for instance their bow and the almost flat hull:

That bow does not make you remember something from the modern racing world?

They are so popular that they made them of steel now:

Anyway, they are wonderful boats and sail well but they are not a match for a modern cruiser in what regards performance and that is not what they are about. They are about living and cruising with style a certain style that has its roots deep on the past on their naval culture and tradition. It feels good to live and cruise that way. I know, I had done that for a decade in a Portuguese traditional sailing boat.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-23-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook