SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you wish you had known before buying your first boat?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013

KarlP is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you wish you had known before buying your first boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
1) Get towing insurance; its cheaper than a single tow, and with a new boat, you may well need it;
With both sails and an outboard I'd advocate inspecting your rudder carefully, carrying a spare tiller, and learning how to read a chart so you don't run aground. Those will dramatically lesson the likelihood you'll use that towing insurance.

Quote:
4) Despite the low investment you're making, consider getting professional surveys of the engine and boat (a new engine is $2,000+, a boat survey is $350-400, and an engine survey will be a few hundred) AFTER you've done your initial review;
If we're talking about a less than $5k boat with an outboard and porta potty, there aren't a whole lot of systems on the boat. A good condition used 6hp 2-stroke outboard is in character with the boat and ~$400. I skipped the survey on my Cape Dory 25. I'd been power boating for decades and brought my dad along to look at the rigging.

Quote:
5) Depending on the boat you buy (I strongly encourage you to consider a Catalina 25 or 27), get a trailer;
x2 on the trailer - It is MUCH easier to work on a boat in your own yard!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook