SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
New IMOCA rules (Open 60 boats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
IMOCAs board of direction decided to use standard riggs and standard fixed keels on future open 60s...
I guess you got a wrong translation:

The majority decision reached was an integrated solution, with a one-design mast and keel. The other elements of the boat must conform to the rules of stability, speed, length and construction materials. The boats will remain at 60 feet in length, with a bowsprit of 1.8 metres and the one-design keel must meet the specifications that were previously agreed, with particular note to the rule applying to a single piece of forged steel (Inox) for the keel blade

Imoca - La classe IMOCA choisit son futur bateau, OSM annonce le programme des courses

There were already talks about this and I agree. less in what regards the masts.

That is the solution that most of the NA involved in designing those boats proposed. A box keel t equal to all the boats as a way to get faster information that can lead to more reliable keels. A single piece of forged steel does not mean that it is not a canting keel but that other materials, like carbon, titanium or welded steel foils cannot be used.

Regarding the mast, it will be not a standard mast in a sense that you can find it on the market but a one design mast, equal for all. Regarding that I have some more doubts. There were different solutions used and the reliability was not that bad. That will stop mast development. I hope they opt for a solution with the shrouds on the hull and not on those huge lateral arms.

Anyway they have to be careful because previous boats will be allowed to race as they were designed and they risk new boats to be less competitive.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook