SailNet Community - View Single Post - Using Bottom Paint on Brass Propeller
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013

73Morgan is on a distinguished road
Using Bottom Paint on Brass Propeller

Just polished up my brass propeller after 15 years of using ablative bottom paint on it. It polished up real nice, no corrosion damage. I was told I should use some fancy stuff ranging in price. It seemed like a lot of money, I had to understand what it was going to do for me. Found an old post on here which had some good alternatives (link below). Not giving up yet, I looked up galvanic reaction of various metals (second link below). A difference of hundreds of mill volts is likely to result in galvanic corrosion, but only a few tens of mill volts is unlikely to be a problem. Note that the numbers at the top are in Volts. The chart shows copper and brass in the same range. Plumbers have been mixing brass and copper for over 100 years with no problems. The paint I've been using is the cheapest I can find, it has Copper and Cuprous Oxide (principal oxides of copper), which I believe to be very common ingredients for bottom paint. I am not a scientist but it seems that this is just a bunch of nonsense with the brass props.

Interested in knowing what you guys think, or maybe shed some more light on the subject.

Brass Prop Anti-Fouling Coatings ?

Galvanic Corrosion Chart*

Last edited by 73Morgan; 04-23-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook