SailNet Community - View Single Post - Insurance and cruising...
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I'm always amazed to hear accounts such as this...

I long ago lost even a rough accounting or estimate of the number of stays I've had as a transient in a wide variety of marinas up and down the coast over the years, but it's gotta be a couple of thousand by now... And yet, I have never, EVER, been asked to show proof of insurance, of any kind... Same goes for boatyards, not ONCE... Even bringing my little tub into some pretty ritzy places, from Bahia Mar to Nantucket Boat Basin, it's never happened... I haul my boat at what is now a Hinckley yard here in NJ every couple of years, insurance has never been mentioned...

I'm sure there's something in the fine print on the back of many of the transient dockage agreements I sign at a place like The City Marina in Charleston that requires one to have insurance - but I never read those things, and again, I have NEVER, ever been asked about it...

I spent almost a week at Marathon Marina last winter, the subject never came up... I don't know, Brian - perhaps there's something about you or your boat that spooks them?

(grin, bigtime)
My dear Jon,

I am miffed...

If you stayed here, how did you not fill out this form? You sure we are talking about the same Marathon marina? This is the one in the Florida Keys, btw, not Marathon, NY!! (smile)

I stayed in Venice and a few other places a couple of times, and I do not recall them asking for insurance for an overnighter. I would need to check. However, if you stay in Mantanzas Pass Mooring Field, EVEN FOR ONE NIGHT, they require your insurance company, name, etc. Didn't you stop there when you did that delivery up the west coast? And they are not the only ones:

Snook Bight Marina in Fort Myers Beach, FL, requires insurance on file and current. And as I stated, the Harborage also requires you list them as a "payee" or whatever the term was for it.

I am not saying there are not exceptions or that everyone has taken this route of insurance, but it is certainly a growing trend, and a trend I have seen more and more of - especially over the last 24-36 months. I do not know if Boot Key requires it. I will tell you soon as I think we are going to make our way over there in the next few days. But as Mantanzas requires it, being run by the city, it would not shock me if Boot Key does too. Maybe Gary could answer that for us? And if they do not require it, my guess is that they may soon.

However, I also have not ruled out that they see my boat approaching, kids running on the deck or hanging upside down from the boom, Fatty barking on the bow, my wife screaming at the kids to get down and screaming at me for not picking up my clothes, and the general quiet and serenity of the marina falling into complete disarray. Every boat in the marina is trying to push off, and if their engines don't work, they are using paddles. It is then, when they see the marina emptying, they pull out any form at their disposal to hopefully dissuade me from staying! "NO, GAWD, NOT HIM! SURELY HE DOESN'T HAVE INSURANCE!!!"

Probably doesn't help that I try to pay them in Monopoly money or barter the rent with Legos.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook