SailNet Community - View Single Post - Insurance and cruising...
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Yup, same marina... I had originally only intended to spend a night or two, but you know how that often goes, and wound up stretching it out to 5 nights, if memory serves... Don't recall precisely what dockage agreement I might have signed, but I definitely know I was never asked to offer any information on insurance... Obviously, your coming in for an entire month, things are likely to be different than for a transient...

The need to have proof of insurance for a freakin' mooring, however, simply boggles the mind... Can't be too long before harbors might be demanding such proof to simply anchor there, no? Or, how about an insurance checkpoint at a spot like the Great Bridge Lock, at the start of the ICW? Just a matter of time, would be my guess...

You've gotta love the irony of being compelled to produce an insurance certificate, by a marina whose owner has recently been charged with a murder-for-hire, in a plot that grew out of a proposed drug deal...

Marathon marina owner nabbed in murder-for-hire plot - Florida - MiamiHerald.com
He was only a small part of the marina ownership - 2% I think. Word is that he lost everything too. I have been here a few times and probably met him, but most of my involvement was with Judy, the dock master, who is awesome.

I agree with you on the mooring field and stuff. In fact, I know this is very unpopular on Sailnet, but I do not think insurance should be required at all. I personally would carry it, and always have, no matter what. However, I do not begrudge those that don't. If they hit me, my insurance will cover me and go after them, so I am covered. If they hit someone else without insurance, then it is up to both parties to work out an agreement as both parties took the risk. But that is my opinion, and like I said, it is unpopular on Sailnet. I just don't like even more regulation on boating (though I actually think it should have some type of licensing, but that is a whole other discussion).

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook