SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2013 Sailing Season

26K views 247 replies 25 participants last post by  Nicklaus 
#1 ·
Thought I might as well get a head start and designate a thread for all to post in as some are still sailing thorugh January and February. We typically post in a thread where we are going and what we are doing throughout the season and our escapades throughout the season.

We start out on the Ides of March ( March 15) for our first sail of the season.

Our Chesapeake group is one of the molst active on Sailnet with frequent posters and get togethers each month. Our 5th Annual Sailnet Rondezvous will take place June 8 at the Maryland Yacht Club as in years past ( There's a designated thread already). If anyone would like to volunteer to take some other days/ weekends during the season and kind of be the organizer for get togethers it would be helpful and appreciated by all of us. Sometimes we just need an organizer to take the lead herding us "cats" together. It would be great if we also could pull on thogethr down in Solomons this year to capture so others ( hint, hint).

I have been working on a design for a burgee for the "Lions of the Chesapeake" and have some design ideas but if someone has suggestions please let me know. How many woud be willling to purchase ( Looks like about $25 each. If enough want this I will proceed with itThis phrase came out of a sarcastic remark made about a few of us a number of years ago, implying we were not " real sailors" as we sailed in the Chessie. It kindof stuck as our moniker.

Also is anyone willing to take over the database and keep organized the Chesapeake eats/ Restaurant section we have. S/V Auspicious ( Dave ) maintained it for about 5 years and really did a great job with it, and it has helped many a person evaluate the various restaurants we have available. If you havent looked at it its quite extensive.

Heres to a great 2013 sailing Season..let the games begin.(bet Bubble is one of the first to post):eek:

Note to moderators: Could you make this a sticky as you have in the past and take the 2012 sailing season and let it float...Thank you:)

Dave

See less See more
Reactions: T37Chef
#71 ·
Rocking winds steady 22 gusts to 35 just woke me up . Forecast is lowering a little for today from 25-30 to 20-25. Water levels on blowout tide are significant. Glad we have usual 10 ft under the keel at MLW.

Bet this winds changed a lot of people's plans.

Looking to go South to Aberdeen on South River for protection tonight as the winds won't abate to 10-15 till tomorrow.

Dave

#72 ·
Rocking winds steady 22 gusts to 35 just woke me up . Forecast is lowering a little for today from 25-30 to 20-25. Water levels on blowout tide are significant. Glad we have usual 10 ft under the keel at MLW.

Bet this winds changed a lot of people's plans.

Looking to go South to Aberdeen on South River for protection tonight as the winds won't abate to 10-15 till tomorrow.

Dave
Yesterday evening I saw the lowest tide that I've ever seen at my marina. NOAA's sensors recorded 1.5' below MLLW and 3' below predicted low tide:

Not my boat:

#74 ·
Didn't go out Saturday as we chicken out with the 45 knot gusts and weren't sure we could get an anchorage out of the wind because of the Memorial Day crowds. Winds were to continue at 20+ through the night and did.

What a phenomenal sailing day Sunday was/ We screamed down the Bay in chase of a Lippincot30 ( 4 arch) trying to catch him ( he had a 3 mile head start) seeing speeds of steady 7.8 and ultimate speed once of 9.6. Was one o the best sailing days in many years. Took less than4.5 hours. Brian and I both think we saw Cinderella (Wingnwing) at the Chesapeake Bridge heading north as we blasted through there.

We wound up catch them only because the they stopped for us. rafted up in the back of Aberdeen Creek on the South River in a very scenic spot. Great conversation, great food great anchorage. We were all worn out from the constant adrenaline rush and sleep well. Motored home today all 5.5 hours.

Nice weekend.

Reactions: 4arch
#76 ·
Was one o the best sailing days in many years.
I'll second that.

Sunday was a phenomenal day. Wouldn't it be great to have a day like that once a month…

We went out with friends and my in-laws on Sunday (had to redeem myself after Friday). We sailed from the West River to the Bay Bridge with our 100% jib and one reef in the main. Made it to the Bridge in about 3 hours before we tacked back to the West River, where we hit a new top speed of 8.1 - according to the GPS.

Was really a perfect day.

#75 · (Edited)
Finally our first overnight of the season, a long wait is an understatement :D

I tucked two reefs in the Main and left our slip at about noon on Saturday after some debate. We enjoyed a comfortable sail out Rock Creek and down the Patapsco. With some steep waves off our quarter rounding Bodkin Point, it got a little rolly for a few until we adjusted course.

The boat handled well with the two reefs and about 40% of the head sail out, I think we averaged 5.5 and maxed at 7.9 SOG. All in all we took it pretty easy since this was really our first sail of the season and didn't want to freak ourselves or the kids out, but I'd say we picked a good one. I

We rafted with a Bristol 40 on Broad Creek off the Magothy. Nice protection from the howling winds that continued through early evening then they calmed just in time for bed.

The sail back Sunday was even better with milder winds but still a decent 15-20 with the occasional gust into the mid 20's.

Monday we hung around the club and enjoyed sharing our sailing adventures with docks mates.

Cheers:D

#77 ·
Sunday was the kind of sailing day that makes the frustrations of the winter and spring maintenance projects melt away and reminds you why you sail. It was really amazing. I don't think I've ever seen as many sailboats out on the bay and we felt really fortunate to be one of them.

Motoring back Monday was a little lumpy, especially just north of the Bay Bridge off Sandy Point. There were hundreds of sport fishing boats between there and the mouth of the Magothy zipping back and forth, stirring up the water like a washing machine. Still made pretty good time though considering the tide was running against us almost the whole way back up.

#78 ·
Yeah we notice the same thing as soon as we came through the bridge. 4.5 hours down the Bay. 6.5 back with the motor go figure:)

dave

Sunday was the kind of sailing day that makes the frustrations of the winter and spring maintenance projects melt away and reminds you why you sail. It was really amazing. I don't think I've ever seen as many sailboats out on the bay and we felt really fortunate to be one of them.

Motoring back Monday was a little lumpy, especially just north of the Bay Bridge off Sandy Point. There were hundreds of sport fishing boats between there and the mouth of the Magothy zipping back and forth, stirring up the water like a washing machine. Still made pretty good time though considering the tide was running against us almost the whole way back up.

Reactions: 4arch
#79 ·
Interesting that you guys rave about how great Sunday was on the Bay. I looked up the wind data for that day, and while Patapsco buoy saw 10-15 mph sustained and gusts typically 3 mph higher (peak gust of 22 mph at 1 pm), Philadelphia had 17-22 mph sustained with gusts 27-33 mph. Based on how the trees were getting pushed around in our yard, we opted for a bike ride instead of a boat ride on Sunday.

Monday, however, was glorious weather with 10-13 mph sustained and no gusts. We made it from Essington to downtown Philly with the current in 2 hours, and made it back against the slowing current in 3 hours.

I've compared the wind data at the two different locations in past years, and we do seem to get a steadier, more predictable mid-summer breeze than you guys do down on the Bay. That, and the 12 minute distance from my house, are about the only advantages of our otherwise mediocre sailing range.

#80 ·
TakeFive,
Perhaps it's the heavier boats that makes the difference in what "feels" like a great sailing day on the bay? Or maybe we just had steadier conditions lower down the bay? We also spent Sunday out and had spectacular sailing. Not the best I've ever seen, I'll save that designation for the one particular day going from Bimini to New Providence in the Bahamas or perhaps a couple days sailing a beam reach up the Hawke Channel between Key West and Key Largo.

The only gusty wind I saw Sunday was at the mouth of the Patuxant River going out into the bay. In the bay I saw steady 12-15kn winds which fell off to 7-9kn around 5:00 pm or so.

#81 · (Edited)
TakeFive,
Perhaps it's the heavier boats that makes the difference in what "feels" like a great sailing day on the bay? Or maybe we just had steadier conditions lower down the bay? We also spent Sunday out and had spectacular sailing. Not the best I've ever seen, I'll save that designation for the one particular day going from Bimini to New Providence in the Bahamas or perhaps a couple days sailing a beam reach up the Hawke Channel between Key West and Key Largo.

The only gusty wind I saw Sunday was at the mouth of the Patuxant River going out into the bay. In the bay I saw steady 12-15kn winds which fell off to 7-9kn around 5:00 pm or so.
I'm just going by the data.

As I said, it looked like great sailing conditions on the Bay on Sunday - based on your personal observations and the buoy data. But very gusty up the Delaware River - also based on my personal observations and the recorded data.

#83 ·
We had gusts to 40 apparent on Sunday going down the bay to Galesville, blew our raft up off the anchor (5 boats, about 75k pounds) until we dropped 3 anchors out.

Then Monday coming back up we set RPM for what should have been 6kts and were only making 4.5, in no wind at all. Got tired of motoring so we took a ball in Naptown harbor and watched the idiots go by.
Tuesday saw the same thing, current on the bay heading south held us from 6 to 4.5, and under the bridge we got slowed to 3.6 at times.

Still, it was time on the boat so it was all good.

#85 ·
My point was simple. We are not very far away, but on Sunday the weather was very different at our two different locations based on the objective weather data.

I also acknowledged that most people would prefer sailing on the Chesapeake. No need to pile on.

That's it. No debate intended. I would prefer not to start one.

End of story.

#86 ·
Sorry didn't mean to pile on.

Rick, Certainly no argument intended, but a discussion will occur if you make a claim which is not substantiated by direct observation of other observers including myself ( my wind indicator was pegged over 20 most of the day) , then come to a sweeping inaccurate conclusion. I am not trying to argue just want to make sure that accurate FACTS are presented.

I am challenging your data. It is inaccurate. Not sure what you are reading as the historical data for the day. Patapsco Buoy which as I said is an inaccurate way to judge winds on the Bay as its sits at the end of a river.

Is it possible you are reading the NOAA buoy observation for the day measured in m/s historical data? Please let me know if I am in error or looking at the wrong observations here.

Here are the SAR observations from the Patapsco buoy which show 12-17 knots

Buoy Center - Station 44043 - Patapsco, MD

Or the wind speed graphs which show wind speed at 20+ mph all day

Real time wind & weather report Patapsco Buoy 2013-05-25 - Windfinder

Here are the SAR observations from the Key Bridge readings which are like your Delaware River

Buoy Center - Station FSKM2 - 8574728 - Francis Scott Key Bridge, MD

Or the wind speed graphs which show wind speed at 18-25 mph all day

Real time wind & weather report Francis Scott Key Bridge 2013-05-25 - Windfinder
note graph shows winds between

And here are the SAR readings from the Tolchester which is in the open Bay and shows 14-6 knots

Or the wind speed graphs which show wind speed at 18-20+ mph all day

Real time wind & weather report Tolchester Beach 2013-05-25 - Windfinder

BTW all graphs show gusts in excess of 30 mph on Saturday

Here is the data from International Airport where you were sailing Sunday in mph . It shows less wind than in any of the Chesapeake readings for the same time period by at least 5-10 mph

Real time wind & weather report Philadelphia Int. Airport 2013-05-25 - Windfinder

Or even the Port of Wilmington

Real time wind & weather report Port of Wilmington 2013-05-25 - Windfinder

Let me know,

Dave

QUOTE=TakeFive;1036960]My point was simple. We are not very far away, but on Sunday the weather was very different at our two different locations based on the objective weather data.

I also acknowledged that most people would prefer sailing on the Chesapeake. No need to pile on.

That's it. No debate intended. I would prefer not to start one.

End of story.[/QUOTE]

#87 ·
Sorry didn't mean to pile on.

Rick, Certainly no argument intended, but a discussion will occur if you make a claim which is not substantiated by direct observation of other observers including myself ( my wind indicator was pegged over 20 most of the day) , then come to a sweeping inaccurate conclusion. I am not trying to argue just want to make sure that accurate FACTS are presented.

I am challenging your data. It is inaccurate. Not sure what you are reading as the historical data for the day. Patapsco Buoy which as I said is an inaccurate way to judge winds on the Bay as its sits at the end of a river.

Is it possible you are reading the NOAA buoy observation for the day measured in m/s historical data? Please let me know if I am in error or looking at the wrong observations here.

Here are the SAR observations from the Patapsco buoy which show 12-17 knots

Buoy Center - Station 44043 - Patapsco, MD

Or the wind speed graphs which show wind speed at 20+ mph all day

Real time wind & weather report Patapsco Buoy 2013-05-25 - Windfinder

Here are the SAR observations from the Key Bridge readings which are like your Delaware River

Buoy Center - Station FSKM2 - 8574728 - Francis Scott Key Bridge, MD

Or the wind speed graphs which show wind speed at 18-25 mph all day

Real time wind & weather report Francis Scott Key Bridge 2013-05-25 - Windfinder
note graph shows winds between

And here are the SAR readings from the Tolchester which is in the open Bay and shows 14-6 knots

Or the wind speed graphs which show wind speed at 18-20+ mph all day

Real time wind & weather report Tolchester Beach 2013-05-25 - Windfinder

BTW all graphs show gusts in excess of 30 mph on Saturday

Here is the data from International Airport where you were sailing Sunday in mph . It shows less wind than in any of the Chesapeake readings for the same time period by at least 5-10 mph

Real time wind & weather report Philadelphia Int. Airport 2013-05-25 - Windfinder

Or even the Port of Wilmington

Real time wind & weather report Port of Wilmington 2013-05-25 - Windfinder

Let me know,

Dave
You have the wrong day. Your data are for Saturday, May 25, the day that you bailed on going out because it was so gusty. I was talking about Sunday, May 26, the day that everyone was saying was so great on the Bay, as demonstrated by the Windalert data that I cited.

It is not worth wasting any more of my time over something so trivial. If you disagree with me, that's fine. The rest of you are free to continue discussing if you want.

#89 ·
Nothing snarky intended. 10-15 with virtually no gusts is great conditions - enough for any normal monohull to get to hull speed. Gusts to 30+ is less than optimal IMO.

I meant exactly what I said, no matter how hard you try to imply otherwise. Why is this trivia so important?

#90 ·
We unfortunately didn't leave the slip this weekend although it looks like it would have been a nice weekend to be out. Instead, it was a weekend of boat projects.

I started out by test fitting the propane locker I'm building to fit inside our starboard lazarette. I had mocked it up out of cardboard but wanted to do a final test with the real thing which is made out of half inch plywood glassed on the inside. It fit! Now I can keep going with the finishing touches and painting.

Next I rebuilt the engine sea water pump. It had been dripping starting slowly last season and accelerating this year. It was a bit intimidating but once I got it apart the process went smoothly. The old rubber seal was visibly in pretty bad shape so I hope this does the trick.

From that I moved on to installation of a bow roller. The boat never had one so I had to start by moving the chocks aft a bit. Did that yesterday and then today drilled for the bolts, potted the holes, and climbed all the way up in the forepeak to bolt it down (ugh). A few kinks to work out with the way the anchor rides in the roller but I think it's going to be worth its weight in gold in retrieving our 35lb anchor.

Last but not least, I've been suspicious of our mixing elbow for a while and wanted to inspect it. I took the whole lower elbow/mixing elbow assembly off the engine and it clearly is time for a new mixing elbow. The lower elbow is fine. I sprayed the coupling with blaster and let it sit for 24 hours. Even after that, I still had to put the old elbow in a vice and screw my pipe wrench to a 5 foot long 2x4 to get enough leverage to move it. It's apart now and a new elbow will be ordered first thing tomorrow. Now I know a Yanmar elbow can last about 8 seasons of Chesapeake motoring (YMMV).

A long two days of work but a lot of items crossed off the list for summer cruising!

#91 ·
Wow,,,quite a list of accomplishments. Especially in the heat.

I replace our elbow every five years. The carbon buildup can really choke the engine power. I was surprised by how much was in ours a few years ago. Getting it off and apart was a pain too.

Dave

#93 · (Edited)
Just got back from a five-day trip on the Bay. Set out for Norfolk last Saturday with one crew member. Decided not to beat into headwinds once we got out past Annapolis, turned left and spent the 1st night in Tilghman Creek on the Miles river. Thinking that we'd actually head North since the southerly winds were supposed to continue, then be followed by no wind, the next day we ended up turning south anyway and had a mostly pleasant sail to Oxford, though the last bit was quite hairy when a thunderstorm caught up with us right at the entrance to the Tred Avon. Lightning just missed us and struck a daysailer moored off the Strand and it eventually sank. Monday we sailed and drifted and got caught by another storm and sailed, drifted, and motored to a yacht basin on the Patuxent. Tuesday we sailed in boisterous conditions, including a pod of dolphins, down the Bay and around the entrance of the Potomac to St. Mary's city, where we tied up at the dock in front of the college. We were the only boat there. Wednesday we headed back out to the Bay and did an all-nighter, arriving back in the Severn early Thursday morning.

Remind me never to take crew on more than a daysail - things always get sour after a couple of days, it seems. That said, the first couple days were great and we had fine weather the whole trip. And as it turns out, it's good we came back early since we missed being out in all the rain we're getting now.

#95 ·
It sure feels like summer has hit the Bay with the low winds and high humidity we had this weekend.

We stayed on the dock Saturday to take care of some projects and did a short sail around the West River with friends on Sunday. Even ran aground, again. Managed to get off so it didn't dampen the day too much.

Here's a more full report - Things That Go Bump In The Bay... | On Board Cordelia

#96 ·
We are on the hook in Greys Inn Creek on the Chester after a begnign 5 hour sail over in 5-9 knotts of wind. Nice skirt steak for dinner on the grill with grilled asparagus and pineapple. Beautiful. Sunset. Hoping for better winds tomorrow.

Dave

#97 ·
Wonderful little sail this evening! Winds were forecast to be 10 mph, but turned out to be 18 (actual, not apparent) as we beat downriver with a reef in. Things eased up a lot while we ran back wing-and-wing, arriving at the dock right as the sun set:

I've got meetings and a dinner party tomorrow, so no sailing. But we're planning to do a 5 hour daysail up to Philly and back on Sunday, and my 17 year old son wants to bring along a female friend (his first time for that). They're in for a great time!

#98 ·
Despite predictions of winds less than 5 knots for the weekend, we had an awesome sailing day yesterday. We reached up the bay in 10-12 knot winds, never seeing less than 5.5 knots SOG until the last mile or so when the wind started dying later in the afternoon. We dropped the hook at Worton Creek outer anchorage. The wind went perpendicular to the waves late evening making it a bit rolly, but we did have front row seats on two bald eagles nesting in a nearby tree as well as the huge moon rising. A little less wind today and some drizzle but still a nice motor sail back.

#99 ·
Sunday started off a bit iffy with rain, then came the heat and humidity. Once we got out on the Bay, however, it turned into a great afternoon with mostly sunny skies and winds from the South of at least 11 knots.

Since it was a topic on another thread, I paid close attention to the crab pots. There weren't as many as the other weekend and none were in the float free channel - just right on the edge.

Sunday Funday | On Board Cordelia

Attachments

#100 ·
The one picture looks like a commercial for Toby Keith's "Red Solo Cup".

There areat least 6 cups there.

QUOTE=Nicklaus;1049522]Sunday started off a bit iffy with rain, then came the heat and humidity. Once we got out on the Bay, however, it turned into a great afternoon with mostly sunny skies and winds from the South of at least 11 knots.

Since it was a topic on another thread, I paid close attention to the crab pots. There weren't as many as the other weekend and none were in the float free channel - just right on the edge.

Sunday Funday | On Board Cordelia[/QUOTE]

#103 ·
Had a great beam reach sail of6+ knots in 10 knotts of wind to one of our favorite spots...Worton Creek. After a nice swim we had steaks on the grill with grilled tomatoes and asparagus. Dessert was NJ blueberries the best. A little hot till the sun went down.

We have an exrtra day this weekend so headed to Rock Hall and Swan Creek.

Dave

Reactions: T37Chef
#104 ·
We had the same gentle breezes up here. We did a daysail up to the cove at Riverwinds and rafted up with some friends. I inflated our "dinghy in a bag" and floated around the boat scrubbing the waterline. No sleepovers for us because the kids were home, so we sailed back.

#105 ·
We took some family members out for a daysail today. Often when we do that there's no wind, especially this time of year. Today we were very lucky to have a steady 10-12 knots plus. We left late morning and flew out of the river and sailed on a beam reach practically all the way to Rock Hall, then turned around and flew back into the river. Turned out to be an awesome sailing day and looks like the wind will last into tomorrow for those lucky enough to be out. Unfortunately we both have to work tomorrow but we'll probably head back out for the weekend. We're thinking of trying to find a transient slip at a marina with a pool since it's supposed to be in the mid 90's with high humidity through the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.