SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice Sailing North West Atlantic Coast (U.S.) North Carolina to NYC
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice Sailing North West Atlantic Coast (U.S.) North Carolina to NYC

Are you planning to go up the Chesapeake or stay out in the ocean? I bought a boat in the lower Chesapeake and considered sailing/having her sailed "outside" to NJ, and much like you, I didn't like the idea of sailing at night. When I looked into it, I had a hard time figuring out how I'd do the stretch from the Norfolk, VA area to Delaware. There really aren't that many good inlets along the VA/MD coast, and that makes it tough. Of course, going North on the Chesse adds significantly to your trip, but you're guaranteed to find a place to tuck in. You'll need to double-check the depth (my boat's draft is 3'10", so you don't want to rely on me!), but I think the Chesse tends to be the safer route unless you're going to sail at night.

Otherwise, I'll pass along Chef2Sail's recommendations: Cape May, Atlantic City, Barnegat. I started looking at doing a trip to NYC, and one route I considered was north to either Shark River or, if you can make it, Atlantic Highlands. From there, you can pop over to NY and get upriver (depending on the weather and tide) somewhat easily.

Hopefully some of the more experienced members will chime in soon!

Either way, good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook