SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom paint: Micron Extra/CSC, Pettit Ultima SR-40/SR-60
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013

SaltyHog is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom paint: Micron Extra/CSC, Pettit Ultima SR-40/SR-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I used Horizons as the "hot coat" layer at the advice of Pettit. Horizons is the same base co-polymer paint without the slime blocker and a little less copper (equal to Ultima SR40). They suggested the non-slime blocker as the hot coat/tracer then you can switch to Ultima SR. This went over IP2KE 6 years ago and there are zero adhesion or build up issues. Steve Miller our local rep up here has recently told me that hot coating with either SR40 or SR60 is not a problem at least with their barrier coat. He would not comment on IP2KE which is what I used.

Keep in mind that as copper content goes up, and slime blockers get added, coverage per gallon goes down slightly. SR60 covers about 400 sq ft. and Horizons covers about 500 sq ft., SR 40 about 450 sq ft. SR60 has a different solvent than SR40..

Just finished applying SR60 and it is tough to cover my hull with 1 gal but I can easily do it with SR40. SR40 is the exact same paint as West Marine PCA GOLD...
Main: It was your posts specifically that prompted me to ask both Interlux and Pettit about whether it was better to hot coat the barrier coat with a non-slime inhibitor paint. Both said it's fine. Go figure huh. Either they have changed their thinking or you spoke to someone at Interlux/Pettit that knew either more or less than those I talked to. At this point I think I'm going with the SR60 over Interprotect 2K hot coating at thumbprint tacky. It seems others have done this with good results (so far). It seems that most are happy with SR60 in general. I hardly ever go faster than 6 kts, so your logic regarding Ultima SR 60 vs. Micron Extra makes sense.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook