SailNet Community - View Single Post - A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013

dogeconomics is on a distinguished road
Re: A bluewater live-aboard for under $20k

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPendoley View Post
You might consider a Pearson Vanguard. Great first boat. Good headroom, solid hull, ok sailor. Also, easy to singlehand conservative rig. Watch for core issues on deck, but relatively simple to repair. Dinette layout is great dockside for live aboard. 6-10K would get you a good start, probably with a diese, though parts for the A4 are abundant and a simpler engine was never designed.

I've been aboard full time for years and find her pretty comfortable. At 10 K you'd have money left over for newer sails, a reefer, upgraded electronics if desired, dodger etc.
The boat is plain inside, but think of it as a blank canvas since your a good woodworker.

One big plus is relatively shallow draft so you can poke your way down the coast. Many have voyaged far.
Interesting! Initially I was very attracted to the Vanguard, Alberg 30, and other early models. Really liked the lines and heavy construction. But it seems there are more posts about how the hulls aren't built well, tons of deck problems, lack of internal framing, sailing comfort etc, etc. I certainly don't have a problem with time and maintenance, but I definitely want a sturdy boat. I had kinda given up on a boat that had the look I really wanted, with the exception of the Vineyard 30' and maybe the Seawind. Nothing against the other boats! Just like certain looks more than others.

The idea of a 'blank canvas' is very appealing... but I want to be certain the canvas is worth painting. Any other thoughts on them?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook