SailNet Community - View Single Post - 35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013

tominny is on a distinguished road
35 year old standing rigging - but rigger says it's ok

I am the original poster of this thread. Thank you all for a very insightful analysis of the problem and so much advice. As usual with these things, there are no clear answers and it is up to the individual. If it was all as easy and straightforward as driving a car the oceans would be full of people (breaking their rigs) ;-)

In the end I succumbed to changing the entire standing rigging. The main reason was peace of mind, and it really helped in that regard when the nor'easter was blowing. I choose Norseman fittings and the rigger showed me how to fit them and gave me a few extra for the spares kit. I kept the old backstay (longest wire) as a replacement in case there is a failure at sea. I am feeling better prepared now.

In the end it got me from NY to the Bahamas and back to FL. Since I am planning more offshore cruising over the next years, I consider this a worthwhile investment. It was either new rigging or a chartplotter at the helm. I believe I got the priorities right. ;-)

Tartan 34C
New York City
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook