SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sleeping While at Sea
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Sleeping While at Sea

paulo- problem is it normally takes 90 to 120 minute to enter stage R ( REM) sleep. Also with even partial sleep deprivation when sleep occurs the rebound sleep is initially predominanted by stage 3 sleep ( slow wave sleep-hard to wake) and then stage R sleep. Continuous fragmented sleep destroys normal sleep archecture.The restorative physical and mental properties of sleep are markly decreased. No amount of training will curcumvent this basic neurobiology. The fragmented sleep and tolerance may vary a bit in different individuals but will cause a marked decline in cognitive functioning in all. There are deterilousl effects on mood,immune and metabolic function as well. There is a huge body of research of the effects of sleep deprivation given it's marked effect on performace ( military,medical personnel as well as jobs requiring alertness ( air traffic controller, nuclear plant commercial drivers etc.) I forget who it was who after a race around the clock decided to keep going leading to his demise. I would wonder if chronic fragmented sleep entered in to his decision. I believe many of these folks "micro sleep" while in the cockpit. REM pressure may lead to brief dreams intruding into wake. I further believe this activity may have long term implications to their health if done repetitively.