SailNet Community - View Single Post - Politics and Moderation
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013
Kayaker/Dreamer

Resolute_ZS is on a distinguished road
Re: Politics and Moderation

First, a thanks for the original post.

Second, I can appreciate the reason for having a politics/etc forum. I don't, however, think that it is necessary. This is, first and foremost, a sailing forum. This isn't a politics, gun, war, ethnocentric, or religious forum. The problem lies in the differing of opinions and ideas that, by their very nature, are prone to cause dissent. While we may be passionate about certain beliefs, there is a time and a place for those beliefs. When discussing sailing, only factual references to a region's politics and how it affects sailing would be acceptable, including reputable sources cited for information. Comparing that scenario to "I heard that island is run by fascists, and they confiscated my boat last time I was there and strung me up by my toenails and beat me like a pinata because I came from a wealthier country" is unacceptable.

I have been on other forums where politics, religion, and other sensitive topics are verboten. If a post crosses that line, it is automatically deleted and a warning is issued. It has worked very well, and I continue to love that forum. Don't get me wrong - opinions can still run strong, and conversations can become heated, but at least that happens about the original purpose of the forum.

That being said, who do catamarans like flipping over spontaneously, and why are monos only half a real boat?