SailNet Community - View Single Post - Switching from marine head to porta potty
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Switching from marine head to porta potty

I personally don't have the problems with a porta-pottie as others here do. They actually are pretty easily maintained... so I don't really get the stigma...

HOWEVER, a head with a holding tank is a good thing (in my opinion of course)... the ONLY reason I'd kill myself removing it, would be if pump out facilities are hard to find (which is my case)...

As far as removing it... your biggest problem is the through hull. You can leave the holding tank and cork it (but it may be just as easy to remove). Cutting out all the hoses is pretty straightforward. The through hull can be stoppered for now (if the boat is in the water)... then again at next haul out you can affect repairs on your schedule. Honestly, I think the job is doable by a noob... just have to be thorough. Also be prepared to haul the boat back out if it fails on relaunch!

Again, I wouldn't remove a functioning head with a holding tank for a porta pottie (because of the work)... but if it's because pump-outs are hard to get to... then by all means.

As far as not having any women aboard that wouldn't use a bucket... well, that MAY be but he also might not have had many aboard! or ones that came back! PP and Head is a little more civilized at least.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook