SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Paulo- we are wimps and like every comfort but also like to get where we are going. Using your logic let's compare a j120 ( couldn't find pogo in NE phrf site so choose that as a "fast boat") to an outbound at phrf of 33 to 90. When cruising our average hop is ~700m so that means by phrf the j boat will arrive there 5h 15m quicker. In my life of cruising it just don't signify against the comfort, beauty and wonderful ride of my boat. In reality as my skill set rises and I become more confident I believe we'll will push the outbound harder then we would the j boat so the difference would be less. Also the livability of my boat ( comfort at anchor, maintenance etc.) is non pareil. The owners of the other cruising boats on this thread probably feel the same way about their boats.
regards
outbound
Ok, you can be wimps and like every comfort but even so there are others that need and want even more comfort, like the motion of a really heavy boat and need of more space and comfort. Some just hate heel and will chose a boat that heel very little or a multihull. Nothing wrong with that and they are right too.

No wrong here I have nothing against guys that like to voyage and sail in slow or very slow sailing boats and they sail more comfortably for sure since speed equals almost always less comfort, not only in the type of the boat but in what regards sea motion even if that can be misleading sometimes when the boat is planning or semi- planning downwind.

I also have nothing against the guys that like to cruise, sail and voyage in boats faster than the ones I prefer (and there are lots of them).

I am only pissed with guys that think that the way they look at cruising, voyage and living is the only right one and are unable to understand that the boat and lifestyle they prefer would be boring to some and uncomfortable to others.

That is obvious and I don't understand the difficulty of understanding it.

Look at the boat market: there re plenty offers of voyage boats way faster than yours on the trade winds and some are even produced in considerable numbers. That means that there are many that want and prefer faster boats for cruising and voyaging and they are so many that justifies the production of boats and not only one offs.

THAT IS A FACT: they exist, they voyage and cruise and they would not have your boat over a much faster boat. That has not to do only with function (arriving some days first on an Atlantic crossing), but mostly with the pleasure to sail and voyage on a fast sail machine, the same way that one does not have a sport car to arrive faster (there are speed limits) but for the pleasure that it gives to drive.

I am hoping that you finally understand that I find the Outbound a great cruising boat, that will satisfy some types of cruisers and voyagers but that it will not satisfy all that like to cruise and voyage. That's why there are so many types of cruising and voyage boats.

It is ridiculous to call racing boats to all cruising boats faster than the one we own or assume that they are unsuitable for cruising just because they are not fit to do that the way you or Brian do.

If some chose them as voyage and cruising boats then it is because they are fit for those sailors in what regards cruising and voyaging: this is not evident? They do actually sail, voyage and circumnavigate in them.

It is not a question of money: Fast boats are expensive.

Racing boats are boats designed exclusively for racing and when you and Brian talk of racers you are not talking about those boats but about performance cruisers, some of them never intended or designed for racing. That makes no sense.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-24-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook