SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

I’ve got a busy day so only had a chance to “skim” the messages, but I’ll try to add context to my yesterday’s message. I used the C34 as a “base boat” as I am quite familiar with it being a past national champion in that boat. I am also potentially in the market for a 40 foot boat to cruise Mexico and beyond in the next couple of years. My dilemma is it worth it to me to double/treble/quadruple my current boat cost as I enter into retirement? My C34 is a pretty capable little boat – It qualifies for the PacCup, TransPac, SHTP, and Bermuda 1-2 races so it has the “chops” IMHO for what I want to do. The question is how much comfort and performance would I get by buying a 40 footer and does it make economic sense for me. I pulled the dimensional numbers off of various sources on the internet and I am a little suspicious of several of them. My spreadsheet uses the PHRF formula to calculate that number so if the dimensional data is off, so would the PHRF number. No offense to my New England brothers, but NEYRA is highly political and they plug a lot of adjustments into their base numbers (I know, as I was also the national measurer for C34 at one time). NorCal YRA base utilizes an unadulterated formula. I thought the PHRF number for the Aerodyne was low too as we raced as a 36 rating ten years ago (I’ll see if I can find an old certificate to verify the numbers.) I will also expand my database to include a J122. I also want to put in a “true” cruising boat that is about 40 feet as a comparison (to anchor one side of the continuum.) I suggest that when someone wants to introduce a new boat into this discussion, they first post the dimensional data so I have some way of calibrating the boat in our continuum. Boats discussed that don’t have this data I’ll consider as “vaporware” and I’ll not consider or address them. I think that if we start to use more quantitative methods, we will all gain a better understanding and will be able to further the discussion.

Paulo, I was looking at the division standings for the ARC. What division should I be looking in to find the Beneteaus and Jeanneaus ?

Is there a way I can post tabular data on Sail Net? I’d like to post my expanding database.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook