SailNet Community - View Single Post - Baba 35 vs Tayana 37 vs Hans Christian 38
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Baba 35 vs Tayana 37 vs Hans Christian 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Disregard TQA's stupid generality.

The Baba 35, aka Flying Dutchman 35, is by far the better built boat of the three. It sails about the same as the Tayana 37. But it's shorter so off the wind the TY 37 may be a hair faster. Not sure about the HC. Not too keen on some of their construction details though. I can't speak to how the HC sails but obviosly I have more faith in my own designs.

The hull forms of the Baba 35 and the TY 37 are very similar.

I would say from a value perspective the Baba 35 is the best boat on your list.
Sorry Bob for criticizing your baby but the facts speak. The Baba 35s have a history of problems with the mild steel fuel tanks and replacement is not easy.

I believe they have teak decks laid on a balsa cored fibre glass deck. As the last Baba 35 was built in 1986 [ I think ] that deck will be at least 27 years old. OK maybe the owners have been really carefull with the deck upkeep but not all do.

Correct me if I am wrong but is the deck teak overlay not screwed down onto the fibreglass deck? So we have how many holes leading into the core?

I looked long and hard at a lot of boats from that era when I was on the hunt for my forever boat. I listened to a lot of cruisers with boats from that era and the problems they had encountered. Over and over again I heard about leaking teak decks and the costs of repair. Also the nightmare of trying to replace fuel and water tanks that were installed before the deck went on.

The OP asked about resale value. Try and sell a boat with a leaking diesel tank, a wornout teak deck on a soggy deck core and evidence down below of water leaks.

There is an HC for sale just now in the PNW at a reduced price. Why is the price reduced who knows? Might just be related to the [ admitted ] soggy deck core.

BTW I have been lucky enough to have been inside both a Baba 35 and a HC 38.I just liked the extra space in the HC but I am 6'3".

Last edited by TQA; 04-24-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook