SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Ovni 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Paulo (or anyone else with an opinion on this)- what's you lates opinion on the Ovni's? There happens to be one located for sale close to us that is a 435 model, and the broker is offering us a test sail (we're in no real hurry, though). I was reading on the boat design forum when you were pointing out some flaws back in 2005 and was wondering if you've changed your mind at all since then. I know of one other couple sailing one who seem to enjoy it for extended cruising, and they frequent the northern high latitudes as we are hoping to do before we get much older...

Ray
Hi Ray,

In 2005...that was long ago, nice to know that there are sailors reading what I wrote 10 years ago.

I don't remember but probably I was pointing out that the Allures that appeared around that time was a better boat. Still think that, specially in what regards reserve stability (or a Boreal for that matter) but that if you have the possibility to chose a new boat. Probably today I would be a bit more moderate in my opinions. That comes with age. It is worth to point out that the OVNI is considerable less expensive then any of the other boats.

The OVNI are great offshore boats and its seaworthiness record is impeccable with smaller boats than the 435 doing extreme voyaging, on high latitudes.

Jimmy Cornell that had circumnavigated several times with different boats had done the last one with a 435 and considered that the best offshore boat that he had sailed and that guy knows one or two things about offshore sailing and offshore sailing boats.

As an used boat, if well cared, an OVNI 435 can be a a very good buy and a great voyage boat. You have just to see if you like the way the boat sail and go ahead.

You will have to learn (and to know) how to sail the boat in bad weather. That is not done the same way than with a full or fin keel boat. If you now what you are doing that boat is a very seaworthy one.

Maybe this posts are of interest to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Since we are talking about beachable boats, here some nice Videos of an OVNI 365 sailing at 80º North:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Well, that friendly discussion with Osmundl about the OVNI 395 performances can give the impression that I am saying that it is a bad boat or an uninteresting one. It is not the case and probably it was already time that we post here about an OVNI and from their line the 395 is one of the more interesting.

Aluminum centerboards are one of the French preferred options in what regards passagemaking boats and particularly the OVNI 435 was a sailing legend with many boats sold and an incredibly number of circumnavigations made.

These boats have changed the paradigm of centerboarders. The Dutch ones had almost 50% of ballast, the French ones have about 35% and that permits them to be much faster sailboats at the cost of a lower AVS (the 435 had 107) and a big inverted stability. Even so, the particularly good dynamic stability characteristics made them difficult boats to capsize (I don't know of any report of a capsized 435).

Regarding the many other French options regarding centerboarders, the OVNIS have an huge advantage: price

It is of no use for most, excellent boats like the Atlantic, if they cost so much that only very few have the money to buy one.

The OVNIS have democratized aluminum boats. Sure they have a somewhat rude look and some would not find them beautiful, but they are strong and well designed in what regards the thing for what they were made off.

You would not win races in one, but modern ones offer an almost equal performance as basic modern big production cruisers, except upwind where the performance is 5 to 10 degrees worse, as it would be on any non ballasted keel centerboarder.

As I have said, from the present line the OVNI 395 offers an interesting performance and qualities at a fair price, lower than any concurrence. He has already talked about the Allures 40, that I prefer, but it costs substantially more and the other options are even more expensive.

So, lets have a look at the OVNI 395:

Fair enough Osmundl?
And perhaps you can PM Osmundl about his boat. He was so enthusiastic about the performance of his OVNI 395 that I think he was a bit pissed for me saying that his boat was a great sailing boat but had not the performance of a cruiser racer. If you look a bit after the date of the last quoted post you will find a discussion about his boat and its performance.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-24-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook