SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The process continues....

The drawings which have been posted so far represent a morphing of Bill Atkin's original design into something more modern, and yet by intention would look and feel a lot like the boat that Wolf currently knows and loves.

This round of revisions adjusted the hull lines. The water line was stretched and a little more flare was added to the bow. This allowed the entry to be made a little finer. The run was made a little flatter and a small amount of beam was added at the rail and waterline, especially aft. The canoe body was made shallower and in general the overall displacement was reduced, while interior volume and surplus carrying capacity should be a little bit bigger due to the larger waterline plane.

As per the earlier post, the sail plan has been reworked as well. The proposed plan should take better advantage of the more efficient keel and rudder, should reduce the need for sail changes and reefing, should reduce the size of the sail inventory, and should be a better rig to use offshore.

Collectively these changes should produce a boat which is easier to handle, sails better in all wind ranges, is more seaworthy, is dryer and smoother in a short chop, and which is considerably faster and more weatherly than the original. It should track as well as the original, and sail more upright. The overall motion should be similar. The limit of positive stability and the area under the stability curve should be much better as well.

Speaking a general way, in my opinion all the best design projects have a specific client in mind. In this case, up to now, the changes to the original design attempt to improve the original design while remaining within what I believe to be the acceptable limits imposed by my perception of Wolf's tastes and preferences. And while we might be able to drag Wolf a little further, I am not sure that we need to at this point.

Both Bob Perry and I believe that there is still a lot that could be done to make this an even better boat than one that we have shown in this post. So we would like to go on and continue to develop the design further. But I also see this as a chance to show how designing for a different specific client changes the design brief and conseqently the design.

As a loose working model for that different client, we thought that it might make sense to use an imaginary client who is a limited production, quality distance cruising boat builder, (think of a company like Pacific Seacraft) who is updating their line. You might think of this kind of like a hypothetical updated replacement for something like the PC 34. The basis of the design brief as we continue this process is to produce a better sailing small distance cruiser for company whose clients tend to be from a conservative market.

So that is what will drive the next steps....

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-24-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook