SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

The changes to the ballast & keel on this thread reminded me of a question I have never found an answer to.

When putting a bulb tip on a keel it seems to be standard practice for the bulb to flare out & down and the bottom to be flat - presenting something of a triangle in section view.

It intuitively seems to me that it would be more effective to reverse that so the keel tip/bulb interface was flat to create a definite, sharply defined end-plate and maximize the foil depth of the keel - presenting an inverted triangle in section view.

The difference in righting moment would be extremely small but it strikes me the flow characteristics would be quite a bit better that way

?????? Anybody???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook