SailNet Community - View Single Post - Amuse me, sailing small boat offshore.
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: Amuse me, sailing small boat offshore.

Thank you, the spirit is there. This summer I am learning alot, I'm leaving in a matter of days for my first big cruise in the Beautiful Pacific Northwest. I will learn alot that will help me make a long passage one day.

I don't know where that cubicle thing came from, seemed insulting since I have never been in a cubicle, but once in Hawai'i, I am currently on the waiting list for a slip in the Ala Wai, as is my best friend, so I would now have a boat and live in Hawai'i and get ready for about a year to go to the South Pacific.

I've been looking at boats in Hawai'i and there aren't any cheap ones these days, actually, if you go on craigslist there is a yellow and white Catalina 22 that I used to own, that if you saw it in person would probably sell for $2000 most places, and they want $4200. The boats in Hawai'i are either "yachts", well loved sailboats that the owner's don't sell, or barnacle encrusted, jerry rigged "fun" boats that get passed around year to year.

What if I bond with my boat? What if I get really good this summer and think come August or September..."I can do this" It would be nice to think I could go. I know while I'm in Wash/CAN, I'm going to be rocking at anchor, thinking of what it would be like to cross. I would love to have this boat in Hawai'i, it would be sooooo much fun, island hopping, racing friday nights, and just sailing in front of Waikiki.

I realize that it's not always super fun. I think I have a good grasp on this. I would imagine the best moment of my life would happen one night, when there was a light wind blowing, and I could see every star in the sky, and feel just total peace and perfect solitude, but...half of the time I would probably be scared or bored.

My risk tolerance is an 8 out of 10. But understand my risk tolerance may be high, but my care and planning is equally high. I would not just say F it, and go without a reasonable belief that I could make it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook