SailNet Community - View Single Post - getting a Tartan 34C ready for offshore trip
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: getting a Tartan 34C ready for offshore trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominny View Post
Amazing story! And so valuable to hear directly from the captain.
I pulled the chainplates last year and they looked ok to my eyes, no rust, just a bit of pitting at the location where they go through the deck. I had replaced all the chainplate screws. Now I'll also replace the plates themselves. In the story above they failed in less than 20 knots, so probably the SS got brittle over time?

I keep my boat in Port Washington on a mooring. How about you?
Tom,

Yes, the doug sabbag story was pretty sobering. The stresses on a boat on the ocean can be pretty formidable. Good call to replace them with new. Chain plates suffer from cyclic loading that will eventually make them part or break. New ones should have a longer life under stress.

We kept my boat at Steppingstone "marina" for a season or two. My boat is now up the Hudson at Nyack. I grew up in Sea Cliff so I know Port Washington pretty well.

Are you using the yard at PWYC for your re-fit operations? They seem to allow some diy activities there. I'd enjoy dropping by to meet you & see your T34C around late June/early July.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook