SailNet Community - View Single Post - Insurance and cruising...
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Re: Insurance and cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
It seems like Australia tries their best to discourage sailboats, from their clearing in policies to insurance. I think when I finally set off to do the big loop, I will avoid it entirely. Australia has apparently gone from remote penal colony to the land of regulation and official nonsense.
Increasing your public liability when in Australia is dollars not Hundreds. Where the 10Million came from started in Queensland due to the huge cost to the public for the clean up of beaches and marine parks from Maritime wrecks. They don't differentiate from the 12' tinny and the 49 foot trawler but if you are bigger than 50 foot then you have to take out a second insurance.
As far as discouraging cruisers from visiting our shores, Yes they are tough on what you can bring into our country, but no tougher than most other isolated country's, who are trying their best to protect our diverse fauna and flora. I see a lot of these complaints coming from US and EU folks. I can tell you that the US is the strictest and most controlling authoritative group I have seen. The US require a non resident (alien) Cruiser to inform them when ever the vessel is moved, even from one marina in San Francisco to another in San Francisco, Australia only needs you to report in when visiting a Customs port, so Leaving Sydney you only need to reports when passing Coff, Brisbane , Bundaburg, Mackay ect. that leaves a lot of cruising grounds in between where you do as you wish. I recommend all Cruisers come and see our country, and make sure you leave your boat at a marina, hire a RV and tour the inland as well. I have yet to meet a visitor complain about anything but the cost.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook