SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

I guess if the “grownups” like the esteemed Mr. Perry have now shown up does this mean us kids have to go home or can we still play some more? Bob, now that you are here, can you “check my math”? I have a couple of formulas that are obviously broken – can you tell me where they are incorrectly written?

MOMENT OF INERTIA (I) = Displacement^1.744/35.5

ROLL PERIOD (T) = 2*PI*(Inertia/(82.43*lwl*(.82*beam)^3))^.5

STABILITY INDEX = T / (beam*.3048)

Yes, boat selection is extremely personal and I am still enthralled with my C34 but I am at a crossroads as I look to retirement and Mexico cruising. Do I make a jump to a bigger platform? If so, do I buy something that the cool kids are all sailing? If I double my expense in the boat, will I double my pleasure? My C34 gives me a whole lot of pleasure right now and it is never boring. I have done a whole lot of racing an on some pretty fast designs so I have a pretty good idea of what is on the far end of the spectrum, it’s the stuff in the middle like the Benies, Jeannies, and yes, the fatty cattys that seem to be too closely grouped together and hence, my corundum.

Not to be a total brown noser Bob, but I raced your Nordic 44 design to a second place in the ’08 Pac Cup. Beating the third place boat by almost 24 hours (and losing first by a “mere” three hours.) It was a fun ride. Based on the experience, tried to talk the Mrs. into the Nordic 40 version but she didn't like the small cockpit and forward head. As they say, different horses for different courses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook