SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

I get wanting to cruise in something fast. Who doesn't.

The responses to the question here(I have followed the whole thread) seem to be a suggestion that it is all just about 'style' - That some people cruise with more stuff and some with less.

While this is true, it is a simplification. What I don't get is that if your 'cruising' (Your boat is your home not a building and you move it around a fair bit) there is a level of tankage/provisions/spares you just have to have.

Even planing 10+ kts minimalists have to eat and drink, presumably their boats also sometimes require maintenance, and occasionally they like to have fun.

Boats such as Firsts( just an example CD mentioned, not picking on it) would get pretty weighed down/squishy by the time you have met what i believe would be the average/accepted level of tankage/provisioning/spares/safeties IMHO.

Our boat doesn't have a much in the way of toys or mod cons. We are a moderate diplacement 35ft cruising sloop, No Generator, no AC, no watermaker, No microwave(Ok, we are getting one though, purism be damned those things are miracles on passage).

We DO carry 180 Litres of diesel( about 50 Gallons?) and additional Jerrys. Triple that for water. We do wear clothes and eat food. We have a medical kit that takes up an entire locker, cruising guides that fill another, and don't get me started on charts and toilet paper. Occasionally I need to fix stuff so there are tools, and when I am not I have been known to read a book or two. We at times probably nearly equal our water capacity in wine/beer/rum and scotch.

When you are living and voyaging fulltime even simple needs such as ours are enough to fill most crevices in a good cruising boat. I question in a boat with less storage/tankage and light displacement how you do satisfactorily get around these simple facts.

Of course yes there a extremes, some guy probably has sailed around the world on a racing machine with 5 gallons of diesel, a pair of shorts and 2 cans of baked beans.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 04-25-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook