SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow16 View Post
Sigh.

At the risk of coming off as confrontational I must comment on your post.

To start with, I don't think you are being mean-spirited and I'm guessing you really must think this to be true.
This has been repeatedly proven by science. If you doubt it, read this book, which summarizes the science behind these differences: "Taking Sex Differences Seriously" by Steven Rhoads: [QUOTE=sparrow16;1021142]

As much as you do not want to believe it, hormones and chemicals determined by genetics can alter behavior.

Quote:
. I also know many who have been actively discouraged from similar pursuits by men (and women) because it was not deemed "appropriate" for a girl/woman.
You use a perfect example of the difference between the average woman and the average man: most men do not let others determine their destiny or career choices. They pursue what they want with determination, without seeking support or encouragement from the "village" - a classic difference between a hunter and a gatherer. Most men don't care whether others think their choices are "appropriate". That is why we speak our minds on the forums and most women are so concerned about offending others.

Quote:
As for sailing I have observed many women who sail with men who are in charge. Then there are those women who I suspect let the men take charge because of old habits, social pressures and cultural norms they have internalized, not because they cannot do it.
Christine
You will never get what you want out of life if you are passive and allow others to determine your destiny.

Take charge of your life, Christine, and stop waiting for the approval of others! You can do it!

Last edited by jameswilson29; 04-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook