SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Jeff- From #90, the context is :
"Considering, the suggestions to consider retaining either a Cutter or Ketch rig, The while both rigs have virtues in some applications, both would be inconsistent with the hull and keel as it is evolving. It is important to go back to the decision loop thought process. Both cutters and ketches are at their best in boats with lots of drag for their stability."

I read that as "drag for their stability" but I think you are meaning the rigs are better off for the stability they create in boats that have lots of drag or inertia and as such are slow to accelerate?
Ah, Now I see where you are coming from. That was not the most clearly written sentence on my part. What I was trying to say, was that cutters and ketches are best on boats which have a lot of drag and which also lack adequate stability to allow an efficient (lift to drag) sail plan to be used. Efficient sail plans tend to be taller and have a higher vertical center of effort. When you talk about a boat with a lot of drag, it takes a lot of sail area to over come that drag. And if you have a lot of sail area and its in a sail plan with a higher vertical center of effort, it requires a lot of stability to be able to use that additional sail area. Ketches and to a lesser extent cutters tend to spread thier sail area out more horizonatally so they generate less heeling moment for thier area, but of course they cannot point as high as a more efficient rig.

My poorly written sentence was short-hand for all that. It was clear in my mind but of course, only the clarvoyiants on the forum who were reading this knew what the heck I was thinking.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook