SailNet Community - View Single Post - outboard for sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013

sterilecuckoo58 is on a distinguished road
Re: outboard for sailboat?

For what its worth, our 1970 Vivacity 24 has had an extra long 25" 9.9 2-stroke Johnson for 16 years, had the proper pitched prop so my folks experienced improved performance. Its predecessor was a long 20" 15 hp (same motor, different carb?) with a prop more suited to a none displacement skiff and in following seas the prop would pop out (always a following sea returning to port though Jones Inlet, Long Island, NY) so Mom would often set on the stern pulpit which, despite being a lightweight, improved things a bit.

After the XL began spitting steam (and an overheat...ugh..rebuilt) regularly we retired it and replaced it with a 4-stroke XL Tohatsu. [it was either that or a used OMC, I could not afford new to begin with, let alone a new OMC or Mercury)

Now here's the kicker... er literally... The Johnsons were mounted on a typical OMC bracket with a 1-7/8" thick plywood mounting plate that the motor hung on. I too the 4-stroke and put it right on and we went about our business for the season.

Bringing her in to her winter storage slip off Boston Harbor in early November (yeah, after Sandy, but that's another yarn) I had to demonstrate to the unknown person on the dock tending to his fine sailing yacht that I was a capable seaman and could slip my bought perfectly. So to arrest my way, I chose to use reverse briefly and gently. Except that somehow the throttle revved up (probably hitting he stern cut out?), and my nearly new engine did a reverse flip with a half twist and landed on the water.

It stopped running (thank you lanyard), and it didn't sink (thank you short batter cable clamped in place, well sealed enclosure and especially thank you adrenal glands). The mounting board broke across the two upper bolts which bolt it to the bracket. I made a new one out of 1-7/8" lam-beam and sealed it and mounted it . In maneuvering the motor down into the water Something Happened (credit due to Joe Heller, thanks Joe) and my beautiful new mount cracked the same way, still held together by some thread.

I made up another mounting block out of 2"x8" rough oak running grain vertically, and that worked despite an abrupt drop into the water.

So I am looking for a better way to carry that 4-stroke someplace sturdy astern. A set of inclined rails on the stern? Maybe right into the trapezoidal notch in the stern? I get the sense that the further forward the prop is, the better. Any thoughts? The Mayer thing in another thread seems too bulky a contraption.

I have hauled the boat for bottom repairs, inside ballast corrosion repairs, rub rail replacement and other less daunting tasks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook