SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Might be helpful in this discussion to use some real numbers and try to get away from theoretical and philosophical issues. Define an L/B that you like or don't like. Bracket some questionable numbers. Define some of the variables and there are a hell of a lot of them.

Paulo is correct, obviously. There are good heavy boats and good light boats. There are also bad heavy boats and bad light boats. I'd like to see the more specifics enter this discussion. I like to treat each boat individually.
Because of the bad heavy boats and/or full disp, people have chosen to say ALL heavy and/or full keels boats are horrible from a performance point of view. For a long time I used my boat to dissuade such notions then I finally realized my boat was an exception to that "rule".
The poor handling and windward ability of the original design of my boat was overcome with a subtle rig change. The type of hull is actually based on a New England fish schooner, but a 30' hull just isn't practical for a schooner rig. The rig on the boat is a high aspect ratio and the hull is designed for a rig with a center of effort fairly far aft (big main fractional fore triangle), a ketch rig would lower the center of effort but would move the center of effort ahead of the what the hull was designed for.
It doesn't take much to get the boat to hull speed and it still moves nicely in light air, the most an improvement in hull design could do is improve very light air performance or maybe reduce the amount of sail area necessary to achieve the same thing it does now (good for handicapping, but I don't do racing). You have already pointed out how you can see this hull would do nicely in light and moderate wind. I have learned from previous owners of my boat and others with the same hull that when weather gets dicey it is a good "sea boat", you did say there might be a problem if I was sailing without reduced sail in weather where I should have reduced sail anyway.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook