SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Wolf:
If you went to a ketch rig you would almost certainly more the center of pressure aft not forward. I'm not proposing a ketch at all. I like the rig Jeff has sketched up now. I'm not in favor of split rigs on boats this size.

You are dead wrong saying, "the most an improvement in hull design could do is improve very light air performance or maybe reduce the amount of sail area necessary to achieve the same thing it does now ". It's a bit silly to ignore all the improvement in hull desiign that that last 50 years have given us. I could not stay in business if I ignored them.

Jeff and I will proceed with the project and do what we think wil work well while retaining tha character of your boat. No fun in this for Jeff and me if we are going to be anchored in the past. Your boat is a skinny boat and benefits from that lack of beam. But other than that the shape is a pure antique. But it's a nice antique, I like it and I understand why you like it. But this is 2013. Isn't it?
I am also not a fan of split rigs, or at least not for anything under 40'. I would not ignore improvements in hull design, but by the same token too many people in too many things only look at "improvements" and are lead to believe everything prior to them must be bad. A better way to describe what I was trying to say is the improvements suggested are more extreme than the improvements in performance. That and flat out performance it not the only feature of hull design, just the easiest one to sell to a culture whose mindset revolves around speed. The biggest drawback of my boat is in accommodations, it is fairly evident that the overall design was based on something alot bigger. An yes she is an antique, but a nice balance of form and function....not what one of these "wooden boat snobs" over here have which perform best in a slip at a boat show. My boat was designed as a single handed ocean cruiser.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook