SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson 36 VS C&C 34 VS Sabre 34 VS Sabre 30
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Pearson 36 VS C&C 34 VS Sabre 34 VS Sabre 30

I am going to look at a Pearson 36 (1975) that a broker has listed I am interested as it seems to be in nice shape and seems to be set up for liveaboard now. There are a few other boats that I may look at when there (about a 2 hour drive so I want to minimize the trips). They have a listing for:

Same broker:
Pearson 36 (1975)
Sabre 34 (don't know the price or year of this yet but is a MKI)
Sabre 30 (1980) for a bit less than the Pearson 36
C&C 34 (1982) for about the same as the Pearson

Other boats I am considering:

Offshore 33 for sale by owner, not sure why I like it but it looks comfortable to sail and live on. Slower but the Cat Ketch rig has me intrigued. I keep coming back to this one for some reason. Will only get if it is a good price, but he is kind of high right now, but want out of the boat.

Irwin 37 CC. I know completely different but has lots of living space. I understand that this will be slower, but the two separate staterooms could make it worthwhile.

I think the Sabre 34 will likely be out of my price range but I don't know the price yet, they look like beautiful boats. The Sabre 30 I think will be a bit small for my needs, but am open to looking at it and again beautiful boats. The C&C 34 looks to be a nice boat and just a bit more than the Pearson, but I don't know how motivated the seller is. The C&C looks to be the most sporty of the of the lot.

So my question is how would these boats stack up? I am going to be living aboard, on the Hudson River for now, but want to head out and do some cruising in about 6 years. I am not a racer, but would not be offended by a decent turn of speed and am not upset by a more tender boat. So what are your ideas? What issues would stick out? I know the C&C is cored hull, so I have to look into moisture intrusion. I will get a survey prior to any purchase.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook