SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Achock:
I have explained this ad nauseum here. But there are still some skeptics. And perhaps they have a valid point. Given the fact that the waterplane area for two 40'er, one a cruiser and one a racer, will be similar, their two pounds per inch immersion factors will be very similar. So, let's say each boat will sink an inch for every 1300 lbs. of gear loaded. Of course the more the boat sinks the more the waterplane increases and the plbs. per inch immers will increase. We all know this, with the exception of the crew of the MERRY LUDDITE.

However, and this is where the slekptis have a point: If your racy 40'er weighs 14,000 lbs and your cruiser buddies 40'er weighs 24,000 lbs. You will have 218.75 cu. ft. of volume below the DWL to stow gear, including tankage while tyou heavier cruiser buddy will have 375 cu. ft. of volume below the DWL. Not quite twice as much volume but colse enough.

What does this mean? It means that you will have a hard time finding places on your race boat to stow all the gear.You heavier buddy has that generoud bilge area where he can stash canned good, wine, gear and spares. With you skinny bilged race boat about the only think you can stow below the sole is pasta, spaghetti, on its side.

Displ means volume and in this example I am only talking about volume bekow the DWL. It makes sense that the cruiser may have fuller ends and maybe more freeboard too so the above the DWL volume is also greater.

The lighter boat will in almost all cases still sail better. But at night, snug in that anchorage when you go to bed on your racer you may be resting your head on a can of beans or a jerry jug full of water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook