SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
While that is true in narrow hull racers in performance cruisers with the hull based on open solo racers the huge transoms allows a big storage space. The hulls have normally one cabin on one side and an identical space on the other side has a storage space. That space is a very big one. That is one of the reasons that make them among fast performance boats popular voyage boats for the ones that like to voyage fast.

Other important reason for that choice is the easiness of sailing (regarding other performance cruisers) and the fact that those boats and hulls were designed taking in consideration the possibility of the boats to be sailed on autopilot, even at two figure speeds downwind.
I actually don't disagree with you on this in regards to these modern 'performance cruisers'. They seem to be an evolution in design, albeit an acquired taste. There is certainly though a well funded, more performance orientated breed of cruiser that loves these kind of boats.

I do personally like the Marten 49.

It's darn pretty, fast and there is enough storage/tankage for my needs. It is academic however, they are well beyond my means.

What was in my means when boat shopping were boats such as First 36.7's, and similar style aussie cruiser/racers. I used to race J 24's. My last boat was a IOR 1/4 Tonner and my wife is actually more of a hardcore racing sailor than me. When boat shopping we initially liked the idea of something like a First, but in the end we couldn't see making it work for our intended cruising use. We boat a slower moderate displacement cruising boat.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 04-25-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook