SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Paulo:
You are being silly. You are introducing radical hull shapes into the discussion. If I can do that I can prove anything. We are not talking about Volvo 60's or Open 40's here.

Sure they are wide. But they are thin. There is little usable volume there. You sure as hell can load up the stern with tankage or anything of any weight. You must know that.

Or do you just want to argue. If you do then I'm going to watch hockey.
Are you sure I am the silly one?

One of the boats that has been sold on the last year in bigger numbers as a fast ocean voyage sailboat is the Pogo 12.50. They have a waiting list of more than a year.

Pogo 12.50 , Chantier Naval Structures from Andreas Lindlahr on Vimeo.

This is a pure performance ocean cruiser, not adapted to racing. Pogo has a 40class racer with the same hull, bigger rig, water ballasts and different and deeper draft bulbed keel).

The Pogo 12.50 has a swing keel that allows it a very small draft. There is a member of this forum with one and another waiting for another. This last one will be a liveaboard (if I understand correctly is intentions.

It is a very recent boat but one of them had made already the ARC being, off course, one of the fastest if not the fastest 40ft cruising boat and one of the first to arrive.

The smaller boat, the Pogo 10.50, an identical but smaller boat, a very popular boat and also extensively used as a Voyage boat. It has also made the ARC and there are many voyaging extensivelly. Both boats are designed by Jean Marie Finot that has one Pogo 10.50 has personal boat to cruise with his wife. I think Finot is about 70 years old.

Both boats are also used as charter boats for the ones that want to cruise on the fast lane:

fastsailing.gr - Generously comfortable - The yachts , Generously comfortable

Off course, Pogo is only the ocean cruiser that is more close to a 40class racer, there are other very famous voyage boats based on the hull shape of solo open boats. we have the RM 1260 by Marc Lombard that won this year the European Family cruiser award and that is the successor of the 1200, a very successful voyage boat with a large number of boats voyaging around the world:

And the originally designed by Finot and now redesigned by Marc Lombard Cigales 14 and 16, considered by many the best fast voyage boat.

Among others off course,

Silly? I don't think so

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-25-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook