SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Yeah Paulo:
I do this for a living. I've done it for a living for the last 46 years. I have not interest in argument for argument sake. I have designed every kind of boat from the Baba 30 to the Flying Tiger 30. I know boats. I have done 70ULDB's and 60' ULDB cruising boats. I'll wait for the list of your designs. I have about 7,000 boats on the water that I have designed.

For long range, offshore cruising displacement has it's benefits. If you want to argue that then go ahead but argue to the rest of your audience because I know you are being less than intelligent. I'd say "stupid". Cruisers want tankage, engine space, stowage space, room for personal effects and more tankage. You need displ to give this. This is not a theory. This is not a philosophy. This is reality.

Lets see,,,,,You want me to load extra tankage, say 150 gallons, into the stern of a light and wide racing type hull form? It will not work. It will trim boat by the stern dramatically and hurt performance. Take any designer of that type of boat and suggest he add a 150 gallon tank aft and he'll laugh at you Paulo. Then suggest 200 gallons and the designer will laugh so hard he'll throw up. The suggest a dinghy in davits, a BBQ, a Solar panel array, an outboard. The poor designer of the light boat will die laughing. R.I.P. While he's laying there dead you can suggest a stern anchoring set up with 300' of nylon on a spool mounted on your stern pulpit. I think the body will roll over.

You have this attitude that all good boats have to be your idea of a good boat.
That's total BS. We all have our own way of approaching yachting. There is no reason it has to be reduced to argument or "my way or the highway". I love boats. I love all kinds of boats. I love light boats and I like heavy boats. I just love boats and I appreciate them for what they are as individuals. I am a good enough sailor to get the most out of any boat.

Do it your way and enjoy.
Guys like Wolf can do it their way and enjoy.
Who enjoys more?
I don't give a rat's ass.
Fun is fun.
Happy is happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site

Last edited by bobperry; 04-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook