SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Paulo- There are many places on the eastern seaboard and elsewhere where watermakers are problematic ( silt,other contaminants), and others airless ( need engine). We intend to cruise the eastern US then Carribean ( may need to buy water) then the world. Being able to choose when and where to buy fuel and water gives freedom, decreases expense and increases the chances of not putting contaminated fluids on our boat. Having 200 gal of water and 200gal of fuel under the center of the bilge gives freedom.Given having all the comforts of a dirt house means the 90% of the time we spend in a particular locale will not mean we rent rooms to just have the comfort of long hot showers or a washer/dryer. Given most of the sites interesting to us are in close proximity to the ocean living on the boat needs to be as comfortable as possible.. Behavior and noise at anchor are important to us. Being totally independent and able to live entirely off the grid for extended times is important as well. Displacment makes that possible. I have no argument with you about the light boats. Nor will I argue they can't be strong,fast and safe. That misses the point. Everyone here are sailors. They all know light is fast.
The Valiant had a ~20y run and still are very desirable boats. I gave serious thought to buying the Valiant 50 still sitting in the yard in Texas. My boat has had a ~13y run with more on order. She is fast but also extremely comfortable. Why are you arguing with Bob? Why can't you see there will always be a demand for boats that sail very well, are comfortable, safe and allow the displacement to live on a boat without making the serious compromizes lack of displacement demands? I understand the fascination with speed. I very much enjoy the passage as well so with a reasonably fast boat spending an extra few hours at sea even for an ocean crossing does not seem a hardship against the losses I face in a light displacement vessel. Why can't you respect that view. If someone drew a new vessel that allowed the features of the Outbound ( tankage not requiring replacement down the road, no keel bolts to fail etc) and was faster I would have bought it. Bob's Valiant was the best voyager/liveaboard of that time and remains a great boat. I think in viewing all the functions we want in our water ( not dirt) house the Outbound is the best for us and many agree. Face reality without displacement you become increasing dependent on systems to function to maintain the basics of life. Without displacement comfort, safety and quality of life can be achieved but with much greater difficulty. Basic proven construction techniques mean your boat can be fixed just about anywhere and is much more likely to return to it's orginal strength even when done by clumsy hands.
THAT'S REALITY. put down the glove. Apologize to Bob - respect his life's work. It's ok to be wrong. We all are at one time or another.

Last edited by outbound; 04-26-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook