SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Paulo just likes a good debate and I can appreciate that. But he borders on being a bully and is a bit myopic when it comes to the full range of cruising boats. That's OK. He's passionate and that's all good.

For the record:
I think Paulo and I have the same taste in boats.
I like to sail fast.

For the record:
Of course the modern design offices all do stability studies. We all use computers now andf all it takes is the push of a button. I love it when Paulo lectures me on how a yacht design office works. Usually these days we do multiple stability studies as we evaluate different keels and draft options. This is a given and made possible by the computer. Before computers, even the biggest design offices seldom did full stability studies. It took too much tie. Still, those offices produced fine, and safe sea boats. It took having the "feel" for what boats do at sewa. I like to think I still have that feel.

For the record:
Paulo's claim that you can use all that volume aft in the flat, wide stern racer type hull for cruising gear is not valid. You cannot put a 100 gallon fuel tank in the stern of one of those boats without bad trim problems. However, in a heavier boat, say a D/L arpound 275 you may have volume below the cabin sole in the keel cavity to install a 100 gal. fuel tank amidships where it will not hurt anything while actually helping to lower your VCG.

That's all I have to say about that.
I have to take my dog to the groomer today. That means from 8:30 am until noon I am going to be in a very bad mood. I don't like to be without my dog. Spo Paulo if you want to come at me please get your facts straight and you may want to rethink your efforts to lecture me on how the world of yacht design works. It's my world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg other end.jpg (63.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg pianno side.jpg (68.0 KB, 15 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook