SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Ok, well here has been one of MY points in all of this.

A can of green beans takes up the size of a can of green beans. A screw driver takes up the size of a screw driver. A spare water pump takes up the size of a spare water pump. Period!!

I have already said that there are things in my boat that I carry that are kid related. Any yeah, I play the guitar and that takes up space too. But when it comes to cruising, and especially living aboard, that is something I know quite a bit about. I don't design the boats and I don't make my decisions based upon hypothesis. I live in them, and I know what you will most likely be carrying!

What I tried to do at the beginning of this thread was to lay out what a cruiser was. It was not to say that was the only definition of a cruiser. It was my definition. And as such, with that type of cruiser, you have to carry certain things. THose things take up space. That space has to be accounted for. You gotta put your screw driver somewhere.

SO what I did was I listed out the specifics of the things I carry, including the space they take up. Funny that many people keep avoiding the specifics of what I carry and keep inferring it is 'all that stuff'. That is why I ask them what THEY would take off. THat makes for a good discussion. In the end, once you have compiled what you would take off, you now have the specifics to determine how you are going to put that on boat X. I think most here would be very surprised to see that there is not a whole lot of things they would take off and will be shocked to see the amount of room it takes up.

My long held argument is that many of the Racer-cruiser boats (what I call a racer-cruiser) do not have the storage for these items. In fact, they often will have shallow bilges, sparse cabinetry, sparse tankage, and many other things that make them a great boat for weekending, buoy races, or vacationing, but simply make the boat a poor choice (not an impossible choice) for the type of cruising I do. For others, who 'cruising' means running down to the nearest marina for the weekend, it will be fine. But when you cruise, at least anywhere near my definition of it, you carry a lot of stuff. Grocery stores are not across the street. THere is not a West Marine at every corner. Even if you have a watermaker, you often cannot run it in the anchorages. You have to take a crap, and that uses 1-3 Gallons/person/day. - before you are either illegally pumping overboard, peeing off the side, or scurrying into a marina for a pumpout. And pumpouts, even should you find one that works, are often a fairly long rid (and ain't free). And I haven't even got started yet on trying to find propane or other things!!

Another point of contention: I began living aboard in 2000 and had my oldest son on board at 5 days old. My youngest son has, with a few periods off the boat, really never known anything but boating and living aboard. We have done it, do it now, and will be doing it for as long as I can see. I know what works and what does not. Boating is and has been our life. So when I read about a boat, chosen as the 'family cruiser', and I come out and have serious misgivings about aspects of it, maybe I know what I am talking about? I would love to know how many of the judges that choose the 'family boats' have lived on their boats, currently live on their boats, and will be living on their boats AND (BIGGEST AND) have raised their kids on their boats nearly since birth?? How many of them do it now? Or is this some industry recognized experts that won a race and somehow are qualified to choose boats and select boats for families? Pfft. Ask a parent, live aboard, and cruiser that is raising their kids on their boat what they would look for in a 'family cruiser' and you might just find we don't like none of the stuff the 'experts' pick.

There are SOME whose opinions I do value on what makes a good cruising boat for a family. Tom Neale is one. He's been there and done that, though his girls are now gone. Interesting, though, his boat selection choice (Gulfstar 54... and you think MY BOAT IS FAT AND SLOW!)... and I wonder how many of the 'judges' have read his book, "All in the Same Boat"?

None of this is to say that you cannot make any boat work. You can Make a boat work. But going back to the point of this thread, the typical Racer-Cruiser will have serious tradeoffs as a live aboard and cruising boat - enough so that I guess (GUESS) the boat becomes more unsafe than its HD counterpart and vastly more uncomfortable.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook