SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why a racer for cruising discussion...
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why a racer for cruising discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
For the record:
Paulo's claim that you can use all that volume aft in the flat, wide stern racer type hull for cruising gear is not valid. You cannot put a 100 gallon fuel tank in the stern of one of those boats without bad trim problems. However, in a heavier boat, say a D/L arpound 275 you may have volume below the cabin sole in the keel cavity to install a 100 gal. fuel tank amidships where it will not hurt anything while actually helping to lower your VCG.
Exactly!

And given what is often very sparse cabinetry, and little storage, many of the items you take for cruising are either tossed on top of the cabinetry, put in mesh bags hanging from the ceiling, or (and my alltime favorite) taking up the entire quarter berth or head or shower.

Not only does this make for an uncomfortable boat to live aboard, but it prevents you storing those things safely below the waterline, it makes things very inconvenient to get to, and when the boat starts rolling those things are jumping all around the boat.

My opinions.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook